Codes and Frequencies
For sample children under 18 in 2007 who had practiced yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong in the past 12 months (YTQYOGYR, YTQTAIYR, or YTQIGYR) and had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat a specific health problem or condition (YTQTREAT), YTQTBNPAIN indicates whether the child had used yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong to treat back or neck pain.
Back or neck pain was one of 28 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong.
The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (YTQTABDOM, 2007 only)
- acne (YTQTACNE, 2007 only)
- anemia -- children (YTQTANEMC, 2007 only)
- colitis (YTQTCOLIT, 2007 only)
- congenital heart disease (YTQTCONGHD, 2007 only)
- Down syndrome (YTQTDOWN, 2007 only)
- ear infections (YTQTEARINF, 2007 only)
- eczema or skin allergy (YTQTECZEM, 2007 only)
- fatigue (YTQTFATIG, 2007 only)
- fever (YTQTFEVER, 2007 only)
- cystic fibrosis (YTQTFIBROS, 2007 only)
- incontinence (YTQTINCON, 2007 only)
- muscular dystrophy (YTQTMUSCD, 2007 only)
- neurological problems (YTQTNEUROL, 2007 only)
- other allergies -- children (YTQTOALLC, 2007 only)
- other heart conditions -- children (YTQTOHARTC, 2007 only)
- other chronic pain (YTQTOTHPAIN, 2007 only)
- cerebral palsy (YTQTPALSY, 2007 only)
- chicken pox (YTQTPOX, 2007 only)
- respiratory allergy (YTQTRALL, 2007 only)
- sickle cell anemia (YTQTSICKL, 2007 only)
- other skin problems--children (YTQTSKINC, 2007 only)
- non-strep sore throat (YTQTSORET, 2007 only)
- stammering or stuttering (YTQTSTAM, 2007 only)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (YTQTSTREP, 2007 only)
- nausea or vomiting (YTQTVOMIT, 2007 only)
- warts (YTQTWART, 2007 only)
There are 31 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong. For the full list of conditions, see YTQTREAT.
Yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report that sample children treated back or neck pain by 15 of those methods. (The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only, when just sample adults were asked about their use of alternative and complementary medicine. See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of back or neck pain by other alternative therapies should see YTQYOGYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other questions related to yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong, as well as definitions.
This variable is only available for 2007. Treatment of many other specific conditions by yoga, Tai chi, or Qi gong was covered in the 2002 Alternative Health Supplement, but back or neck pain was not identified as a specific condition for treatment by alternative medicine in that year. The survey classified back or neck pain as a specific health condition for children only, and sample children were not included in the 2002 Alternative Health Supplement.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have used yoga, tai chi, or qi gong during the past 12 months and have used one of these practices for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT