Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults and sample children, USUALPL indicates whether individuals have a place (or more than one place) that they usually go when they are sick or need advice about their health. Please see the Universe tab for changes to the universe prior to 1997.
Text from the Field Representative's Manual for 1997 (which was not routinely read to respondents) clarified this inquiry by noting, "This is not necessarily the doctor most recently contacted. (For example, the most recent contact may have been with a specialist never seen before.) Additionally, it need not be a doctor or clinic the Sample Adult has ever contacted. In this case, the question refers to the doctor or place the Sample Adult would contact if he/she is sick or needs advice about his/her own health."
Prior to 2019, this variable is largely comparable apart from changes in the universe. Major questionnaire changes introduced in 2019 may affect comparability with earlier years. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 1975: All persons.
- 1985; 1987: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1988: Sample persons under age 18.
- 1990-1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement)
- 1993: All persons in quarters 3 and 4.
- 1994-1996: All persons.
- 1997-2018: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children ages 0-17.
- 2019-2021: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children ages 0-17.
- 1975, 1985, 1987-1988, 1990-2021
- 1975, 1994-1996 : PERWEIGHT
- 1985, 1987-1988, 1990-1993, 1997-2021 : SAMPWEIGHT