Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18 and older, SNUFFEV reports whether the sample person ever used snuff. Examples given in the survey question are Skoal, Skoal Bandits, and Copenhagen.
Please refer to the "universe" tab for more information about changes in the universe. For related variables, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
There was a slight change in the question wording in 2005 and 2010, when the interviewer asked whether the sample person had ever used snuff, even for just one time. In earlier years, the sample person was only asked whether he/she had ever used snuff.
Changes in the universe may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IHIS weights.
- 1987: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from CAEP supplement).
- 1991: Sample persons age 18+.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement).
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement).
- 2000; 2005; 2010: Sample adults age 18+.
- 1987, 1991-1992, 1994, 2000, 2005, 2010