Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults, SKBEST reports responses to a question about the best thing to do if they thought someone was having a stroke. Respondents selected an answer from the following choices on a flashcard:
- 1. Advise them to go to the hospital.
- 2. Advise them to call their physician.
- 3. Call 9-1-1 (or another emergency number)
- 4. Call spouse or family member
- 5. Other
The Field Representative's Manuals defined a stroke as "a cerebral hemorrhage or embolism of the cerebral blood vessels." This definition was not routinely shared with respondents.
Beginning in 2009, six questions gauging the respondent's knowledge of stroke symptoms preceded the single question for SKBEST.
- 2006; 2009; 2014; 2017: Sample adults age 18+.
- 2006, 2009, 2014, 2017
- 2006, 2009, 2014, 2017 : SAMPWEIGHT