Codes and Frequencies
For sample persons, SBELTCHFREQ reports how often the child wore a seatbelt when riding in a car. The age of the sample person included in this question changes frequently across samples. Please see the Universe tab for details on sample persons included in this question for various years.
SBELTCHFREQ was first asked in the 1981 Child Health Supplement and seat belt use was subsequently assessed in health and safety supplements over time. For related variables and more information about this supplement, please use the IPUMS NHIS search function and drop-down menus.
- 1981; 1988: Sample persons under age 18.
- 1985: Sample persons age 5-17, and sample persons age 0-4 who do not have a car safety seat or who do have a car safety seat but do not report using it (are never buckled in, or do not ride in car, or for whom it was unknown whether they used the safety seat).
- 1990: Sample persons age 4 and under who do not have if have car safety seat (or for whom this was unknown) or who have a car safety seat but do not report using it (are never buckled in, or do not ride in car, or for whom it was unknown whether they used the safety seat).
- 1991: Sample persons age 5-17.
- 1992: Sample persons age 12 to 21.
- 1998: Sample children age 0 to 17.
- 1981, 1985, 1988, 1990-1992, 1998