Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had received over-the-counter medications (RELNPMED) for the condition they used a relaxation technique for the most (RELTCONMOST), RELNPMEDTIM indicates whether they received non-prescription medications before, at about the same time, or after trying a relaxation technique.
Similar information was collected on the use of other conventional medical treatments, and the timing of those conventional treatments, in the following variables:
- Received mental health counseling (RELCOUN)
- Timing of mental health counseling (RELCOUNTIM
- Received prescription medications (RELPMED)
- Timing of prescription medications (RELPMEDTIM
- Received physical therapy (RELPT)
- Timing of physical therapy (RELPTTIM
- Received surgery (RELSURG)
- Timing of surgery (RELSURGTIM
To collect this information, interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which the reported relaxation technique was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent. For each treatment reported, interviewers asked whether such treatment was received before, at about the same time, or after trying a relaxation technique.
For more information about the full range of variables related to relaxation techniques, including definitions, see RELMEDYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who received over-the-counter medications for the condition they used a relaxation technique for the most.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT