Codes and Frequencies
For respondents age 18 and over who have ever smoked a pipe in their life, this variable indicates if they smoked one at least 50 cigars in their entire life.
In 1987, the Field Representative's Manual noted that if questions arise, interviewers should include pipe tobacco only, and cigarette or cigars crumbled into pipes should not be counted.
This variable is comparable for 1987 forward. For all years except 1987, the question for PIPE50LIFE was phased, "Have you smoked a pipe at least 50 times in your entire life?" The question in 1987 did not include the phrase "in your entire life." This should not affect comparability over time.
- 1987; 1991: Sample persons age 18+ who have ever smoked a pipe.
- 1992: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 1 and 2, and in 2 weeks of quarter 3 (excluded from CAEP supplement) who have ever smoked a pipe.
- 1998; 2000; 2005: Sample adults age 18+ who have ever smoked a pipe.
- 1987, 1991-1992, 1998, 2000, 2005
- 1987, 1991-1992, 1998, 2000, 2005 : SAMPWEIGHT