Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had received surgery (MASSURG) for the condition they used massage for the most (MASTCONMOST), MASSURGTIM indicates whether they received surgery before, at about the same time, or after trying massage.
Similar information was collected on the use of other conventional medical treatments, and the timing of those conventional treatments, in the following variables:
- Received mental health counseling (MASCOUN)
- Timing of mental health counseling (MASCOUNTIM
- Received prescription medications (MASPMED)
- Timing of prescription medications (MASPMEDTIM
- Received over-the-counter medications (MASNPMED)
- Timing of over-the-counter medications (MASNPMEDTIM
- Received physical therapy (MASPT)
- Timing of physical therapy (MASPTTIM
To collect this information, interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which massage was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent. For each treatment reported, interviewers asked whether such treatment was received before, at about the same time, or after trying massage.
For more information about the full range of variables related to massage, including definitions, see MASYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who received surgery for the condition they used massage for the most.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT