Codes and Frequencies
For all persons, INCFAM9706 provides total grouped family income from 1997 to 2006. Responses are reported in nominal dollars and have not been adjusted for inflation.
The field representative manual defined income as:
- Wages and salaries including tips, commissions, Armed Forces pay and cash bonuses, as well as subsistence allowances
- Self-employment including business and farm income
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement
- Pensions from other sources
- Supplemental Security Income
- Social Security Disability Insurance
- Welfare, Aid for Families with Dependent Children/Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, or General Assistance
- Interest from savings or other bank accounts
- Dividends received from stocks or mutual funds, or net rental income from property royalties, estates or trusts
- Child Support
- Other income sources such as alimony, contributions from family/others, VA payments, Worker's Compensation, or unemployment compensation.
Income does NOT include:
- Income "in kind," such as the value of room and board, free meals in restaurants, food stamps, free or reduced rent, value of crops produced by a farmer but consumed by his/her family, etc.
- Lump sum payments of any kind, such as insurance payments, inheritances, or retirement.
- Occasional gifts of money from persons not living in the household or any exchange of money between relatives living in the same household.
- Money received from selling one's own house, car, or other personal property.
- Withdrawals of savings from banks, retirement funds, or loans.
- Tax refunds or any other refund or rebate.
See the drop down menu for additional related variables.
- 1997-2006: All persons.
- 1997-2006 : PERWEIGHT