Codes and Frequencies
For all persons, INCFAM8296 provides total grouped family income from 1982 to 1996. Responses are reported in nominal dollars and have not been adjusted for inflation.
The field representative manual defined income as:
- Wages and salaries including tips, commissions, Armed Forces pay and cash bonuses, as well as subsistence allowances.
- Net income from unincorporated businesses, professional practices, or farms, or from rental property.
- Social Security, or Supplemental Security Income.
- Retirement, disability, and survivor pensions.
- Interest and dividends.
- Cash public assistance payments (welfare), excluding food stamps.
- Veteran's payments.
- Unemployment or workmen's compensation.
- Alimony and child support.
- Money regularly received from friends or relatives not living in the household.
- Other periodic money income.
Income does NOT include:
- Income "in kind," such as the value of room and board, free meals in restaurants, food stamps, free or reduced rent, value of crops produced by a farmer but consumed by his/her family, etc.
- Lump sum payments of any kind, such as insurance payments, inheritances, or retirement.
- Occasional gifts of money from persons not living in the household or any exchange of money between relatives living in the same household.
- Money received from selling one's own house, car, or other personal property.
- Withdrawals of savings from banks, retirement funds, or loans.
- Tax refunds or any other refund or rebate.
See the drop down menu for additional related variables.
- 1982-1996: All persons.
- 1982-1996 : PERWEIGHT