Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2007 and sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for homeopathic treatment in the past 12 months (HOMYR) and had used homeopathic treatment to treat a specific health problem or condition (HOMTREAT), HOMTGUM indicates whether the person had used homeopathic treatment to treat gum disease.
Gum disease was one of 31 possible specific conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with homeopathic treatment.
The other such conditions such are:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (HOMTADD, 2007 only)
- anxiety (HOMTANX, 2007 only)
- arthritis (HOMTARTH, 2007 only)
- autism (HOMTAUT, 2007 only)
- cancer (HOMTCANC)
- head or chest cold (HOMTCOLD)
- constipation needing medication (HOMTCONST, 2007 only)
- depression (HOMTDEPRES, 2007 only)
- diabetes (HOMTDIAB)
- allergy to food (HOMTFALL)
- influenza or pneumonia (HOMTFLU, 2007 only)
- asthma (HOMTASTH)
- hay fever (HOMTHAY)
- hearing problem (HOMTHEAR)
- insomnia (HOMTINSOM)
- menstrual problems (HOMTMENST)
- migraine or severe headache (HOMTMIG)
- other developmental problem (HOMTODD)
- other lung or breathing problem (HOMTOLUNG)
- other musculoskeletal problem (HOMTOMUSC, 2007 only)
- phobias (HOMTPHOBIA, 2007 only)
- acid reflux (HOMTREFLUX, 2007 only)
- regular headaches (HOMTREGHEAD, 2007 only)
- mental retardation (HOMTRET)
- seizures (HOMTSEIZ)
- sinusitis (HOMTSINUS)
- urinary problem (HOMTURIN)
- vision problem (HOMTVISION)
- weight problem (HOMTWEIGHT)
- other (HOMTOTH1)
Additionally, there are 72 other conditions sample adults only could report treating with homeopathic treatment, and 28 other conditions that could be reported for sample children only. For the full list of conditions, see HOMTREAT.
Homeopathic treatment is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report treating gum disease by 15 of those methods. (The omitted alternative method is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only. See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of gum disease by other alternative therapies should see HOMYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other homeopathic treatment-related questions, as well as definitions.
This variable is only available for 2007. However, the questions wording differs slightly between sample adults and sample children.
Sample adults were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use homeopathic treatment?"
The question wording for sample children emphasizes that the homeopathic treatment must have occurred within the past 12 months.
For sample children, interviewers asked, "DURING THE PAST 12 MONTHS, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use homeopathic treatment?" This difference in question wording is minimized, however, because two of the questions for sample adults preceding HOMTGUM (HOMYR and HOMNO) did specify the 12 month time frame. Persons were only asked the question for HOMTGUM if they had earlier indicated in HOMYR that they had in fact seen a practitioner for homeopathic treatment during the past 12 months.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 who have used homeopathic treatment during the past 12 months and have used homeopathic treatment for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT