Codes and Frequencies
For persons with at least four private health insurance plans, HIP4WHO reports if the fourth plan is in the name of the person, someone else in the family, or a person not in the household.
- This variable is completely comparable for 1997 forward and is completely comparable for 1993 to 1996. Because of the editing process that occurred from 1998 forward that verified the accuracy of report for private insurance coverage, users may want to avoid comparing the surveys for prior to 1997 with those that came after. See HIPRIVATEE for more details on the recoding.
- 1989: Persons covered by private insurance plan (excluding those that covered only one type of insurance) obtained through employer or union.
- 1993: Persons in quarters 3 or 4 covered by private insurance (including those that paid for a variety or single service).
- 1994-1996: Persons covered by private insurance (including those that paid for a variety or single service).
- 1997: Persons who provided an answer for HITYPE4 (persons with at least 4 health insurance plans obtained from an employer or workplace or purchased directly, or have Medi-gap)
- 1998-2003: Persons who provided an answer for HITYPE4 (persons with at least 4 health insurance plans obtained from an employer or workplace, purchased directly, through a State or local government or community program, or have Medi-gap)
- 1989, 1993-2003
- 1989, 1994-2003 : PERWEIGHT
- 1993 : SAMPWEIGHT