Codes and Frequencies
For persons with at least four private health insurance plans, HIP4MDPIC indicates whether the person (or persons in the family) covered by the fourth plan could choose any doctor or must choose from a list of doctors.
For all years, persons with single service plans (such as those which only paid for accidents) were not asked this question. From 2001 forward, COBRA and TCC were specifically included as private health insurance.
Please see the Comparability and Universe tabs for changes to the universe between samples. Please see HIP1MDPIC (Plan 1: Doctor choice) for more information on collection and editing of private health insurance plan data.
In 1993, the question was only asked in quarters 3 and 4. Changes in survey design (e.g., quarters in which the supplement was collected) may affect raw frequencies, but do not affect comparability of the variable. As always, data users should use the prescribed IPUMS NHIS weights.
This variable is completely comparable for 1998 forward and is completely comparable for 1992 to 1996. Because of the editing process that occurred from 1998 forward that verified the accuracy of report for private insurance coverage, users may want to avoid comparing the surveys for prior to 1997 with those that came after. See HIPRIVATEE for more details on the recoding.
- 1992: Persons covered by at least one private health insurance plan (excluding single service plans).
- 1993: Persons in quarters 3 and 4 covered by private health insurance, whose private health insurance pays for a variety of services, or for whom this was unknown (excluding single service plans).
- 1994-1996: Persons covered by private health insurance, whose private health insurance pays for a variety of services, or for whom this was unknown (excluding single service plans).
- 1998-2003: Persons who provided an answer for HITYPE4 (persons with at least 4 health insurance plans obtained from an employer or workplace, purchased directly, through a State or local government or community program, or have Medi-gap)
- 1992-1996, 1998-2003
- 1992, 1994-1996, 1998-2003 : PERWEIGHT
- 1993 : SAMPWEIGHT