Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who kept only one or more firearms in or around his or her home (including those kept in a garage, outdoor storage area, truck, and car) (GUNNO), GUNANYWHER provides a recoded variable that reports whether the firearm(s) were stored in a locked place.
Interviewers introduced the questions on firearm safety by stating, "The next questions are about safety and firearms. Firearms include pistols, shotguns, rifles, and other types of guns. Do not include guns that cannot fire, starter pistols, or BB guns." The survey form also directed interviewers to read if necessary: "Sometimes the use of firearms can lead to injury, which is a health problem."
After establishing that only one gun was kept in the home, interviewers asked, "Which statement best describes the place the firearm is kept?" The survey form directed interviewers to show a card (or read the categories if it was a telephone interview) to the respondent with three choices listed as follows:
- The firearm is kept in a locked place, such as drawer, cabinet, or closet
- The firearm is kept in an unlocked place
If respondents kept more than one gun in or around their home, interviewers asked, "Which statement best describes the places the firearms are kept?" The survey form directed interviewers to show a card (or read the categories if it was a telephone interview) to the respondent with three choices listed as follows:
- All the firearms are kept in locked places, such as drawers, cabinets, or closets
- One or more of the firearms are kept in an unlocked place
Based on the responses to these two questions, this recoded variable was created.
In the event that the, "...respondent reports only that the firearms are kept in a locked room," the Field Representative's manual instructs interviewers to, "Probe to determine if the firearm is also locked in a drawer, cabinet or closet. A locked room alone does not quality as locked place."
This variable is only available for 1994. A similar variable exists from the 1998 survey (GUNWHERE)
- 1994: Half of sample persons age 18+ (excluded from AIDS supplement) who keep firearms in or around their home and who own one or more firearms (or for whom the number of firearms was unknown).
- 1994 : SUPP2WT