Codes and Frequencies
For all persons who received Social Security or Railroad Retirement (SS/RR) income last month (in the 1990 survey), and persons aged 65 or younger who received SS/RR income as a disability benefit (1991 onward), GOTSSDISWHY indicates if the person received the income because he or she was disabled.
Users are strongly advised to refer to the Universe and Comparability tabs for more detailed information on changes in the universe of this variable.
From 1990 to 1996, GOTSSDISWHY is part of the Family Resources supplement that provides information on individuals' health benefits, amount of coverage and income received from employment, welfare benefits, public assistance, and savings. Starting in 1998, this variable is part of the core person questionnaires.
Questions in the Family Resources supplement are different from those in the core survey in terms of the content and the treatment of missing data. Questions in the Family Resources were normally asked of the month prior to the interview while the core survey asked of the last calendar year. All missing data in the Family Resources supplement were imputed by NHIS. Users can refer to the imputation flag variable GOTSSDISWHFL to identify persons with imputed data.
Changes in the universe and the reference period limit the comparability of this variable over time.
In 1990, GOTSSDISWHY included all persons who received SS/RR last month, regardless of their age and whether they received SS/RR as disability benefits. In 1991-1996, this variable only asked of persons aged 65 or younger and who received SS/RR last month as disability benefits. In 1997 onward, the universe only included persons aged 65 or younger and who received SS/RR last year as disability benefits.
In 1993, this variable only included persons who were interviewed in quarters 3 and 4.
As always, users should use the appropriate weight in their analyses.
- 1990: All persons who received SS or RR income last MONTH.
- 1991-1992: Persons under 65 years old who received SS or RR income last MONTH as a disability benefit.
- 1993: Persons under 65 years old in quarters 3 and 4 who received SS or RR income last MONTH as a disability benefit.
- 1994-1996: Persons under 65 years old who received SS or RR income last MONTH as a disability benefit.
- 1998-2018: Persons less than or equal to 64 years of age receiving SS or RR income last YEAR as a disability benefit.
- 1990-1996, 1998-2018