Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used folk medicine during the past 12 months (FOKYR), FOKUSINTER indicates whether they had used folk medicine because "you thought it would be interesting to try."
Other reasons for seeing a traditional healer (in 2007) or for using folk medicine (in 2002) that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- FOKUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- FOKUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- FOKUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- FOKUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- FOKUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- FOKUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- FOKUSRELREC (Friends or family recommended)
- FOKUSWELL (General wellness)
For information about the full range of variables related to use of traditional healers or folk medicine, including definitions, see FOKYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for folk medicine during the past 12 months and have used folk medicine for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT