Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults age 18+ in 2007 and sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for folk medicine in the past 12 months (FOKYR) and had used folk medicine to treat a specific health problem or condition (FOKTREAT), FOKTCONST indicates whether the person had used folk medicine to treat constipation needing medication.
Constipation needing medication was one of 31 possible specific conditions that both sample adults and sample children could report treating with folk medicine.
The other such conditions such are:
- Attention Deficit Disorder (FOKTADD, 2007 only)
- anxiety (FOKTANX, 2007 only)
- arthritis (FOKTARTH, 2007 only)
- asthma (FOKTASTH)
- autism (FOKTAUT, 2007 only)
- cancer (FOKTCANC)
- head or chest cold (FOKTCOLD)
- depression (FOKTDEPRES, 2007 only)
- diabetes (FOKTDIAB)
- allergy to food (FOKTFALL)
- influenza or pneumonia (FOKTFLU, 2007 only)
- gum disease (FOKTGUM, 2007 only)
- hay fever (FOKTHAY)
- hearing problem (FOKTHEAR)
- insomnia (FOKTINSOM)
- menstrual problems (FOKTMENST)
- migraine or severe headache (FOKTMIG)
- other developmental problem (FOKTODD)
- other lung or breathing problem (FOKTOLUNG)
- other musculoskeletal problem (FOKTOMUSC, 2007 only)
- phobias (FOKTPHOBIA, 2007 only)
- acid reflux (FOKTREFLUX, 2007 only)
- regular headaches (FOKTREGHEAD, 2007 only)
- mental retardation (FOKTRET)
- seizures (FOKTSEIZ)
- sinusitis (FOKTSINUS)
- urinary problem (FOKTURIN)
- vision problem (FOKTVISION)
- weight problem (FOKTWEIGHT)
- other (FOKTOTH1)
Additionally, there are 72 other conditions sample adults only could report treating with folk medicine, and 28 other conditions that could be reported for sample children only. For the full list of conditions, see FOKTREAT.
Folk medicine is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report treating constipation needing medication by 15 of those methods. (The omitted alternative method is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only. See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of constipation needing medication by other alternative therapies should see FOKYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other folk medicine-related questions, as well as definitions.
This variable is only available for 2007. However, the questions wording differs slightly between sample adults and sample children.
Sample adults were asked, "For what health problems or conditions did you use folk medicine?" The question wording for sample children emphasizes that the folk medicine treatment must have occurred within the past 12 months: "DURING THE PAST 12 MONTHS, for what health problems or conditions did [fill: sample child's name] use folk medicine?" This difference in question wording is minimized, however, because two of the questions for sample adults preceding FOKTCONST (FOKYR and FOKNO) did specify the 12 month time frame. Persons were only asked the question for FOKTCONST if they had earlier indicated in FOKYR that they had in fact seen a practitioner for folk medicine during the past 12 months.
A variable for the treatment of bowel problems or constipation with folk medicine (FOKTBOWL) is available for 2002.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ and sample children under 18 who have seen a traditional healer during the past 12 months and have seen a traditional healer for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT