Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had used a special diet during the past 12 months (DITATKINYR, DITMACYR, DITORNYR, DITPRITYR, DITVEGYR, or DITZONYR) to treat a specific health problem or condition (DITTREAT), DITUSINTER indicates whether they had used a special diet because "you thought it would be interesting to try."
Other reasons for using a special diet that were recorded by the survey, and the associated IPUMS NHIS variables, are:
- DITUSHCREC (Health care provider recommended)
- DITUSENERGY (Enhanced energy)
- DITUSIMMUN (Improved immune function)
- DITUSMEDCOST (Medical treatments expensive)
- DITUSMEDFAIL (Medical treatment not help)
- DITUSCOMBO (Helps combined w. conventional med)
- DITUSRELREC (Friends or family recommended)
- DITUSWELL (General wellness)
For information about the full range of variables related to special diets, including definitions, see DITAKTINYR.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have used at least one of these special diet for two weeks or more for health reasons during the past 12 months and have used at least one of these special diets for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2002 : SAMPWEIGHT