Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who were ever told that they had diabetes (other than during pregnancy) (DIABETICEV), DIACLASS indicates whether they had ever taken a course or class on how to manage diabetes themselves. In 1989, persons with confirmed diabetes were excluded if they reported that they had received no information about diabetes. In all other years sample persons who were ever told they had diabetes, except for women who only had diabetes during pregnancy, were included in the universe.
Other diabetes-related questions were periodically included in the survey; see DIABETICEV for a summary of these variables currently in the IPUMS NHIS.
- 1989: Persons age 18+ with confirmed diabetes who did not report that they have received no information about diabetes.
- 1991; 1998; 1999: Sample persons age 18+ who were ever told they had diabetes (other than during pregnancy).
- 1993: Half of sample persons age 18+ in quarters 3 and 4 (excluded from AIDS supplement) who were ever told they had diabetes (other than during pregnancy).
- 1989, 1991, 1993, 1998-1999
- No weights are available for this variable. Please refer to DIACLASS for more information.