Codes and Frequencies
For sample children under 18 in 2007 who had seen a practitioner for chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation in the past 12 months (COMYR) and had used chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation to treat a specific health problem or condition (COMTREAT), COMTSKINC indicates whether the child had used chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation to treat other skin problems (children).
Other skin problems (children) was one of 28 possible specific conditions that sample children (but not sample adults) could report treating with chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation. The other such conditions are:
- abdominal pain (COMTABDOM, 2007 only)
- anemia -- children (COMTANEMC, 2007 only)
- back or neck pain (COMTBNPAIN, 2007 only)
- colitis (COMTCOLIT, 2007 only)
- congenital heart disease (COMTCONGHD, 2007 only)
- Down syndrome (COMTDOWN, 2007 only)
- ear infections (COMTEARINF, 2007 only)
- eczema or skin allergy (COMTECZEM, 2007 only)
- fatigue (COMTFATIG, 2007 only)
- fever (COMTFEVER, 2007 only)
- cystic fibrosis (COMTFIBROS, 2007 only)
- incontinence (COMTINCON, 2007 only)
- muscular dystrophy (COMTMUSCD, 2007 only)
- neurological problems (COMTNEUROL, 2007 only)
- other allergies -- children (COMTOALLC, 2007 only)
- other heart conditions -- children (COMTOHARTC, 2007 only)
- other chronic pain (COMTOTHPAIN, 2007 only)
- cerebral palsy (COMTPALSY, 2007 only)
- chicken pox (COMTPOX, 2007 only)
- respiratory allergy (COMTRALL, 2007 only)
- sickle cell anemia (COMTSICKL, 2007 only)
- acne (COMTACNE, 2007 only)
- non-strep sore throat (COMTSORET, 2007 only)
- stammering or stuttering (COMTSTAM, 2007 only)
- strep throat or tonsillitis (COMTSTREP, 2007 only)
- nausea or vomiting (COMTVOMIT, 2007 only)
- warts (COMTWART, 2007 only)
There are 31 other conditions that both sample children and sample adults could report treating with chiropractor. For the full list of conditions, see COMTREAT.
Chiropractor is one of 16 modalities of alternative medicine that were included in the 2002 and 2007 Alternative Health Supplements. Persons could report that sample children treated other skin problems--children by 15 of those methods. (The omitted alternative treatment is prayer, which was included as a treatment for specific health problems in the 2002 survey only, when just sample adults were asked about their use of alternative and complementary medicine. See PRASELFEV for more information.) Analysts interested in the treatment of other skin problems--children by other alternative therapies should see COMYR for the full list of alternative medicine treatments and a summary of other chiropractor-related questions, as well as definitions.
This variable is only available for 2007, when respondents were asked about their use of "chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation" to treat health conditions. Treatment of many other specific conditions was covered in the 2002 Alternative Health Supplement. However, in 2002 respondents were asked to report the use of "chiropractic care" (but not osteopathic manipulation) to treat particular conditions. Researchers should therefore exercise caution when conducting analyses that include chiropractic condition variables from both 2002 and 2007.
- 2007: Sample children under 18 who have seen a practitioner for chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation during the past 12 months and have used chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT