Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for chiropractic care (2002) or for chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation (2007) during the past 12 months (COMYR) and had told a conventional medical professional about their use of chiropractic care or chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation (COMLCONVHP), COMLPSYCHI indicates whether they had reported their use of chiropractic care or chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation to a psychiatrist.
In both 2002 and 2007, interviewers asked, "During the past 12 months, did you let any of these conventional medical professionals know about your use of chiropractic care or chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation?" and handed the respondent a card listing several types of conventional health care practitioners. If the answer was affirmative (i.e., a "Yes" response in COMLCONVP), interviewers asked the follow-up question, "Which ones [did you tell]?" and noted, "You may choose more than one."
In both 2002 and 2007, the list of conventional medical professionals included, along with "psychiatrist":
- Medical doctor (including specialists) (COMLMD)
- Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant (COMLNURS)
- Dentist (including specialists) (COMLDENT)
In 2007, the list included additional categories of conventional medical professionals:
- Doctor of Osteopathy (D.O.) (COMLDO)
- Psychologist/Social Worker (COMLPSYCHO)
- Pharmacist (COMLPHARM)
For more information about the full range of variables related to chiropractic care or chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation, including definitions, see COMYR.
The list of conventional medical practitioners on the card shown to respondents was shorter in 2002 than in 2007.
For example, the only type of mental health professional listed in 2002 was "psychiatrist"; in 2007, however, both "psychiatrist" and "psychologist/social worker" were listed. Some respondents may have treated "psychiatrist" as a general category for "mental health professional/therapist" in 2002, but this was probably less common in 2007, when psychologists and social workers were accorded a separate category on the flashcard.
Researchers may wish to try combining the psychiatrist and psychologist/social worker categories to increase comparability for COMLPSYCHI between 2002 and 2007.
Only sample adults with a positive response in COMLCONVHP are included in the question universe for COMLPSYCHI. For discussion of comparability issues for COMLCONVHP, see the documentation for that variable.
- 2002: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chiropractic care during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of chiropractic care.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation during the past 12 months and have let a conventional medical professional know about their use of chiropractic or osteopathic manipulation.
- 2002, 2007
- 2002, 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT