Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults aged 40 years or older who had been recommended to have a particular test to look for problems in the colon or rectum in the previous 12 months (COLTDR1YR), COLCANCOL indicates whether a physician or other health professional recommended that the respondent have a colonoscopy to check for colon cancer. Please see the universe tab for details on changes to the universe over time.
Please refer to COLTDR1YR for a list of the variables covering possible recommended tests for colon or rectal problems.
The 2018 Field Representative's Manual defines a colonoscopy (colon-OS-copy), as an exam "in which a doctor inserts a tube into the rectum to look for polyps or cancer. For a colonoscopy, the doctor checks the entire colon, and you are given medication through a needle in your arm to make you sleepy, and told to have someone drive you home."
Comparability will be affected by changes to the universe over time and the 2019 questionnaire redesign. The NHIS questionnaire was substantially redesigned in 2019 to introduce a different data collection structure and new content. For more information on changes in terminology, universes, and data collection methods beginning in 2019, please see the user note.
- 2010: Sample adults age 40+ who have had particular tests recommended to look for problems in the colon (COLTSPECDR1YR) and who have not had a colonoscopy in the past 10 years, Sigmoidoscopy in the past 5 years, CT colonography in the past 5 years, or home blood stool test in the last year.
- 2015; 2018: Sample adults age 40+ who have had tests recommended to look for problems in the colon (COLTDR1YR) and who have NOT had a colonoscopy in the past 10 years, sigmoidoscopy in the past 5 years, CT colonography in the past 5 years, or home blood stool test in the last year and who had another type of test recommended.
- 2019: Sample adults age 40+ whose doctor recommended testing for colon or rectal problems in the past 12 months (COLTDR1YR).
- 2021: Sample adults age 40+ who had another type of colon test recommended (COLTDR1YR)
- 2010, 2015, 2018-2019, 2021
- 2010, 2015, 2018-2019, 2021 : SAMPWEIGHT