Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months (CHEYR) and who had used chelation therapy for a specific health problem (CHETREAT), CHESURG identifies those who had also received surgery for the condition for which they most used chelation therapy (CHETCONMOST).
For persons who had received such surgery (i.e., those with a "yes" response in CHESURG), the complementary variable CHESURGTIM indicates whether they received such surgery before, at about the same time, or after trying chelation therapy.
The survey question for CHESURG also collected information about the use of other conventional medical treatments (or no conventional treatment) for the condition for which chelation therapy was used the most, including:
- Mental health counseling (CHECOUN)
- Prescription medications (CHEPMED)
- Over-the-counter medications (CHENPMED)
- Physical therapy (CHEPT)
- No conventional treatment (CHENOCONV)
Interviewers asked, "Did you receive any of these conventional medical treatments for [condition for which chelation therapy was used the most]?" and entered all treatments reported by the respondent.
For more information about the full range of variables related to chelation therapy, including definitions, see CHEYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have seen a practitioner for chelation therapy during the past 12 months and have used chelation therapy for a specific health problem or condition.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT