Codes and Frequencies
ARMFTIM1 indicates whether an individual who has ever served in the Armed Forces, was active-duty in September 2001 or later. When first introduced, this variable was only asked of respondents aged 18-75 who had ever served in the Armed Forces; beginning in 2013, the upper bound of the age requirement is modified to account for the aging of the post-2001 veterans.
Active duty does not include training for the Reserves or National Guard, but does include activation for service in the U.S. or in a foreign country, in support of military or humanitarian operations. The value of the final annual person weight (WTFA) for active duty military personnel is zero, so they are not included in national (i.e., weighted) estimates.
- 2011-2012: Persons age 18 to 75 who have ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
- 2013: Persons age 18-77 who have ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces
- 2014: Persons age 18-78 who have ever served in the U.S. Armed Forces
- 2015: Persons age 18-79 who have ever served in the Armed Forces.
- 2016 2017 2018: Persons age 18-80 who have ever served in the Armed Forces.
- 2011-2018 : PERWEIGHT