Codes and Frequencies
For sample adults who had ever used acupuncture (ACUEV) but did not use it during the past 12 months (ACUYR), ACUNOSIDE identifies those who responded, "I had side effects last time" when asked, "Please tell me the reasons why you have not used acupuncture in the past 12 months." Respondents could supply more than one reason for not using acupuncture in the past year.
Other reasons for never using acupuncture are recorded in the following variables:
- ACUNOCOST (Too expensive)
- ACUNOHC (HC worker said not to)
- ACUNONEED (Not needed)
- ACUNOPROOF (Not proven to work)
- ACUNOTHINK (Not think of it)
- ACUNOWORK (Not work before)
- ACUNOREAS (No reason)
- ACUNOOTH (Some other reason)
Although 16 alternative health modalities were covered in the 2007 alternative health supplement, only in the case of acupuncture, chiropractic and osteopathic manipulation (see COMNOCOST), meditation (see RELNOCOST), and yoga (see YTQNOCOST) were survey participants who had ever used a method questioned about why they had not used it in the past 12 months.
For more information about the full range of variables related acupuncture, including definitions, see ACUYR.
- 2007: Sample adults age 18+ who have not used acupuncture during the past 12 months.
- 2007 : SAMPWEIGHT